Below are the prices for wood carving and scrimshaw jobs. To see my price list for custom leather work, click here. If you have a question about pricing, don't hesitate to call or e-mail me.
Scrimshaw on Smooth Handgun Grips:
- Initials: $50 per grip panel. I have a number of type fonts available, or I can work with letters you supply or even in your own handwriting.
- Single image, one color: $75 per grip panel. I can transfer almost any artwork you can supply - including photographs of loved ones. I also am an artist, and I can do sketches for your approval.
- Primary image with secondary image in logo or medallion position on grip: $100 per grip panel
- Multi-color work: Add $15 per grip panel per each color added, including darkened shading areas of main colors.
Relief Carving on Handgun Grips
I can carve almost any smooth grip panel, although some brands of polymer grips lend themselves better to it than others. Almost all brands will take traditional designs such as steer heads, eagles, card spots (spades, hearts) and relief initials.
It's important for me to know the grip brand and type of wood in advance. I don't carve real mother-of-pearl, because it's too brittle and fragile.
The best carving materials are Tyler Ivorex, Ultra-Ivory, Tru-Ivory, N.C. Ordinance or any Micarta. Ajax polymer grips are a little brittle and won't take a heavily detailed design.
Most grips panels are $50 each for carving or checkering. I can do 20 line-per inch checkering or fish scale.
- I can carve on almost all wood grips.
- Grip panels are $75 each for carving.
- I also do 20-line-per-inch diamond checkering or European fish scale checkering:
- Diamond checkering is $75 per panel.
- Fish scale is $100 per panel.
Carving on Long Gun Stocks
- Strong side design: $300
- Weak-side, Secondary Design: $100
- Oak leaves or scrollwork at Checkering Points: $200
- Scrollwork Strong-side Design: $300
- Scrollwork weak-side design: $150
- Fish-scale checkering: $350 (Includes two buttstock panels and wraparound forearm). I also do 20 lines-per-inch diamond checkering at this price.
- Package: Full-stock coverage (strong-side carving, secondary weak-side design) with oak leaves or scrollwork on checkering panels: $500
- Package: Same as above but with fish-scale checkering: $600
- Stock finishing in Conjunction with Carving Work: I sand and/or strip the stock down to bare wood, and, after carving the design, I refinish with six coats of oil.) $200
*** Important Reminders ***
With each order, add $7.50 for return shipping and handling on handgun grips (as many as four pair) and add $15 on long gun wood.
Do NOT send complete gun. I do not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and I don't want the hassle that goes with one.
Just send grips and wood off long guns. I can tell you via email or phone how to remove the wood.